Koss Construction has been in the paving business for one hundred years.
The Company started from rather meager beginnings of building bridges, culverts, dams, sewers, retaining and flood walls, railroads, substations, power plants, ice houses, trolley lines, dredging, stables, an extension on the Iowa State Capitol Building, office buildings, and even a house or two.
In 1912, George W. Koss began pouring concrete for railroad bridges in Iowa and the Upper Midwest. When automobiles began to supplant rail transportation in the 1920s, Koss converted its expertise in concrete bridge construction into paving concrete highways, and the rest, as they say, is history.
The Koss Construction Company was quite heavy in the structure field from the beginning until World War II. During these first three decades large structures were the company’s area of expertise with major river crossings constructed in eleven Midwestern states.
The firm helped pave many of the federal and state highways across the Midwest during the first spate of roadbuilding in the 1920s and 1930s, and was instrumental in building airport runways across the region during the 1940s and the postwar era. By the end of the 1960s, Koss had become one of the nation’s premier Interstate Highway contractors. As the United States ushered in the era of the Interstate Highways, new generations have maintained the company going forward.